PLPC Renewal Information
Renewal Period: August 1-October 31
- Renewal is mandatory every other year. For example, an LPC approved for licensure in odd year will renew in the following odd year, an LPC approved for licensure in even year (Approved November 31, 2016; Renewal would be October 31, 2018), will renew in the following even year (Approved January 30, 2017; Renewal would be October 31, 2019).
- Renewal Deadline: Postmarked by October 31
- $85 renewal fee
- 10% of provisional licensees are audited (must provide documentation of a minimum of 20 CEHs)
- Exam Scores sent directly from NBCC: Take National Counselors Examination (NCE) or National Clinical Mental Health Counselors Examination (NCMHCE) and request the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) submission of score report to the Board until a passing score is achieved. If a passing score is not achieved, the NCE or NCMHCE must be taken at least once per renewal period.
Continuing Education Hours
- CE approved by Louisiana Counseling Association (LCA), American Counseling Association (ACA), National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) will automatically be accepted by Board. If not, the continuing education must be in one of the 14 approved content areas and be given by a qualified presenter. (Qualified presenter: master’s level or above and trained in the mental health field or related services.)
- Submit supervised experience hours accrued since approval/renewal as PLPC (included on renewal application).
- 1 CEH is equivalent to 1 clock hour.
- Accrual of CE begins only after the date the license was issued
- 20 CEHs: Any of the formats below can be used for renewal
- Direct Participation in structured educational format as a learner (No maximum in this area)
- Online = 10 hours max per renewal period
- Coursework: 1 semester hour of coursework = 15 CEHs; 1 quarter hour of coursework = 10 clock hours
- Home Study = 5 hours max per renewal period
- Presentation = 5 hours max per renewal period (Presenters may get credit at a rate of 5 clock hours per one-hour presentation)
- Publishing = 5 hours max per renewal period
- Counseling (as a client) = 5 hours max per renewal period
- Research = 5 hours max per renewal period
- Content must be in 14 approved content areas (Licensee may get as many or as little as they want in an area)- can be online or in person
- Counseling Theory
- Human Growth and Development
- Social and Cultural Foundations
- The Helping Relationship
- Group Dynamics, Processing, and Counseling
- Lifestyle and Career Development
- Appraisal of Individuals
- Research and Evaluation
- Professional Orientation
- Marriage and Family
- Chemical Dependency
- Supervision (LPC Board-Approved Supervisors must get 3 CEHs in this area to renew supervisor designation every renewal period)
- If provisional licensee does not renew by October 31, provisional license becomes lapsed effective November 1. A lapsed provisional license may be renewed within a period of 90 days or postmarked by January 31. After 90 days, the provisional license will expire (license number expires and is no longer used. License number cannot be reused).
- To renew lapsed provisional license, licensee must submit the following items in addition to all previous items mentioned:
- $60 renewal late fee
- Documentation of 20 CEHs
- After provisional license expires, individual must re-apply for provisional licensure under the current licensure requirements and submit recent continuing education (CEHs) as part of re-application.