LMFT Renewal Information
Renewal Period: October 1-December 31
- Renewal is mandatory every other year. For example, an LPC approved for licensure in odd year will renew in the following odd year, an LPC approved for licensure in even year (Approved October 31, 2016; Renewal would be December 31, 2018), will renew in the following even year (Approved January 30, 2017; Renewal would be December 31, 2019).
- Renewal Deadline: Postmarked by December 31
- $170 renewal fee
- 10% of licensees are audited (must provide documentation of a minimum of 40 CEHs)
Continuing Education Hours
- CE approved by AAMFT and its regional or state divisions including the LAMFT will automatically be accepted by the Board. If not, the continuing education must be in one of the 7 approved content areas and given by a qualified presenter. (Qualified presenter: a professional in marriage and family therapy, another mental health profession, or another profession with information, knowledge, and skills relevant to the practice of marriage and family therapy.)
- A LMFT who holds another license that requires CEHs may count the CEHs obtained for that license toward their LMFT CEH requirements. However, of the 40 CEHs required, 20 must be in the area of Marriage and Family Therapy.
- 1 CEH is equivalent to 1 clock hour.
- Accrual of CE begins only after the date the license was issued
- 40 CEHs: Any of the formats below can be used for renewal
- Online = 20 hours max per renewal period
- Direct Participation in a structed educational format as a learner in CE workshops and presentations (No maximum in this area)
- Coursework: 1 semester hour of coursework = 15 CEHs; 1 quarter hour of coursework = 10 clock hours
- Teaching a Marriage and Family Therapy Course (for the first time the individual teaches the course) = 10 hours max per renewal period
- Authoring, Editing, or Reviewing Professional Manuscripts and Presentations in an area of marriage and family therapy= 10 hours max per renewal.
- Presentations at workshops, seminars, symposia, and meetings in the area of marriage and family therapy = 10 hours max per renewal period (Presenters may get credit at a rate of 2 clock hours per one-hour presentation)
- Content must be in 7 approved content areas (Licensee may get as many or as little as they want in an area)- can be online or in person
- Theoretical Knowledge of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Clinical Knowledge of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Assessment and Treatment in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Individual, Couple, and Family Development
- Professional Identify and Ethics in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Research in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Supervision in Marriage and Family Therapy (LMFT Board-Approved Supervisor must get 6 CEHs in this area to renew their supervisor designation every 4 years.)
- If licensee does not renew by December 31, license becomes lapsed effective December 31. May have Lapsed Status for 2 years and may reinstate license within two years of license becoming lapsed.
- To renew lapsed license, licensee must submit the following items in addition to all previous items mentioned:
- $60 renewal late fee
- Documentation of 40 CEHs
- After December 31, license expires (license number expires and is no longer in use. License number cannot be reused)
- After license expires, individual must re-apply for licensure under the current licensure requirements.