PLMFT Renewal Information
Renewal Period: August 1-October 31
- Renewal is mandatory every other year. For example, an LPC approved for licensure in odd year will renew in the following odd year, an LPC approved for licensure in even year (Approved November 31, 2016; Renewal would be October 31, 2018), will renew in the following even year (Approved January 30, 2017; Renewal would be October 31, 2019).
- Renewal Deadline: Postmarked by October 31
- $85 renewal fee
- 10% of provisional licensees are audited (must provide documentation of a minimum of 20 CEHs)
- Exam Scores sent directly from NBCC: Take National Counselors Examination (NCE) or National Clinical Mental Health Counselors Examination (NCMHCE) and request the National Board of Certified Counselors (NBCC) submission of score report to the Board until a passing score is achieved. If a passing score is not achieved, the NCE or NCMHCE must be taken at least once per renewal period.
Continuing Education Hours
- CE approved by AAMFT and its regional or state divisions including the LAMFT will automatically be accepted by the Board. If not, the continuing education must be in one of the 7 approved content areas and given by a qualified presenter. (Qualified presenter: a professional in marriage and family therapy, another mental health profession, or another profession with information, knowledge, and skills relevant to the practice of marriage and family therapy.)
- Submit supervised experience hours accrued since approval/renewal as PLPC (included on renewal application).
- 1 CEH is equivalent to 1 clock hour.
- Accrual of CE begins only after the date the license was issued
- 20 CEHs: Any of the formats below can be used for renewal
- Online = 10 hours max per renewal period
- Direct Participation in a structed educational format as a learner in CE workshops and presentations (No maximum in this area)
- Coursework: 1 semester hour of coursework = 15 CEHs; 1 quarter hour of coursework = 10 clock hours
- Teaching a Marriage and Family Therapy Course (for the first time the individual teaches the course) = 5 hours max per renewal period
- Authoring, Editing, or Reviewing Professional Manuscripts and Presentations in an area of marriage and family therapy= 5 hours max per renewal.
- Presentations at workshops, seminars, symposia, and meetings in the area of marriage and family therapy = 5 hours max per renewal period (Presenters may get credit at a rate of 2 clock hours per one-hour presentation)
- Content must be in 7 approved content areas (Licensee may get as many or as little as they want in an area)- can be online or in person
- Theoretical Knowledge of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Clinical Knowledge of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Assessment and Treatment in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Individual, Couple, and Family Development
- Professional Identify and Ethics in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Research in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Supervision in Marriage and Family Therapy
- If provisional licensee does not renew by October 31, provisional license becomes lapsed effective November 1. A lapsed provisional license may be renewed within a period of 90 days or postmarked by January 31. After 90 days, the provisional license will expire (license number expires and is no longer used. License number cannot be reused).
- To renew lapsed provisional license, licensee must submit the following items in addition to all previous items mentioned:
- $60 renewal late fee
- Documentation of 20 CEHs
- After provisional license expires, individual must re-apply for provisional licensure under the current licensure requirements and submit recent continuing education (CEHs) as part of re-application.