PLMFT Renewal Information
Renewal Period: August 1-October 31
- Renewal is mandatory every other year. For example, a PLMFT approved for licensure in odd year will renew in the following odd year (approved January 30, 2017; renewal would be October 31, 2019); a PLMFT approved for licensure in even year will renew in the following even year (approved November 31, 2016; renewal would be October 31, 2018).
- Renewal Deadline: October 31
- $85 renewal fee
- 10% of provisional licensees are audited and reviewed by board staff (all licensees must provide documentation of a minimum of 20 CEHs)
- Exam Scores shall be sent directly from AMFTRB: Take National Marriage and Family Therapy Examination (NMFTE) and request Assocation of Marriage and Family Therapy Regulatory Boards (AMFTRB) submission of score report to the Board until a passing score is achieved. If a passing score is not achieved, the NMFTE must be taken at least once per renewal period.
Continuing Education Hours
- CE approved by AAMFT and its regional or state divisions including the LAMFT will automatically be accepted by the Board. If not, the continuing education must be in one of the 7 approved content areas and given by a qualified presenter. (Qualified presenter: a professional in marriage and family therapy, another mental health profession, or another profession with information, knowledge, and skills relevant to the practice of marriage and family therapy.)
- Submit supervised experience hours accrued since approval/renewal as PLMFT (included on renewal application).
- 1 CEH is equivalent to 1 clock hour.
- Accrual of CE begins only after the date the license was issued
- 20 CEHs: Any of the formats below can be used for renewal
- Online = 10 hours max per renewal period
- Direct Participation in a structured educational format as a learner in CE workshops and presentations (No maximum in this area)
- Coursework: 1 semester hour of coursework = 15 CEHs; 1 quarter hour of coursework = 10 clock hours
- Teaching a Marriage and Family Therapy Course (for the first time the individual teaches the course) = 5 hours max per renewal period
- Authoring, Editing, or Reviewing Professional Manuscripts and Presentations in an area of marriage and family therapy= 5 hours max per renewal.
- Presentations at workshops, seminars, symposia, and meetings in the area of marriage and family therapy = 5 hours max per renewal period (Presenters may get credit at a rate of 2 clock hours per one-hour presentation)
- Content must be in 7 approved content areas (Licensee may get as many or as little as they want in an area) - can be online or in person
- Theoretical Knowledge of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Clinical Knowledge of Marriage and Family Therapy
- Assessment and Treatment in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Individual, Couple, and Family Development
- Professional Identify and Ethics in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Research in Marriage and Family Therapy
- Supervision in Marriage and Family Therapy
- If provisional licensee does not renew by October 31, provisional license becomes lapsed effective November 1. A lapsed provisional license may be renewed within a period of 90 days or postmarked by January 31. After 90 days, the provisional license will expire (license number expires and is no longer used. License number cannot be reused).
- To renew lapsed provisional license, licensee must submit the following items in addition to all previous items mentioned:
- $60 renewal late fee
- Documentation of 20 CEHs
- Criminal Records Check
- After the provisional license expires, an individual must re-apply for provisional licensure under the current licensure requirements and submit recent continuing education (CEHs) as part of re-application.