Scope of Practice
- Licensed Professional Counselor—any fully licensed person (i.e. one who may practice independently as specified in R.S. 37:1107(A)) who holds oneself out to the public for a fee or other personal gain, by any title or description of services incorporating the words "licensed professional counselor" or any similar term, and who offers to render professional mental health counseling/psychotherapy services denoting a client-counselor relationship in which the counselor assumes the responsibility for knowledge, skill, and ethical consideration needed to assist individuals, groups, organizations, or the general public, and who implies that he/she is licensed to practice mental health counseling.
- Mental Health Counseling/Psychotherapy Services— rendering or offering prevention, assessment, diagnosis, and treatment, which includes psychotherapy of mental, emotional, behavioral, and addiction disorders to individuals, groups, organizations, or the general public by a licensed or provisional licensed professional counselor which is consistent with his/her professional training as prescribed by R.S. 37:1107(A)(8), and Code of Ethics/behavior involving the application of principles, methods, or procedures of the mental health counseling profession. However, nothing in this Chapter shall be construed to authorize any person licensed or provisionally licensed hereunder to administer or interpret tests in accordance with the provision of R.S. 37:2352(5), except as provided by LAC 46:LXIII.1702.E, or engage in the practice of psychology or to prescribe, either orally or in writing, distribute, dispense, or administer any medications.
- A licensed professional counselor shall renew his/her license and privileging designation(s) every two years in the month of June. In order to process your renewal, the Board Office must be in receipt of the following materials by June 30th:
- Renewal Application
- Renewal Fee ($170)
- Documentation of Continuing Education Hours (See Chapter 7, Section 707 of the Board Rules for Continuing Education Requirements)
- Declaration of Practices and Procedures (if the name and/or address of your place of employment has changed)
- If renewing a LPC-S Privileging Designation, the licensee must provide 3 CEHs in Supervision, a Supervisee Update form (SUF), and the $50 Privileging Designation Renewal Fee
- If renewing a LPC Appraisal Privileging Designation, the licensee must also pay the $50 Privileging Designation Renewal Fee
- Should a licensee renew after the June 30th deadline, he/she will be assessed a $60 Late Renewal Fee in addition to providing the above materials. LPC Licenses may lapse for a period of two years. If all late renewal materials are not received by the Board on June 30th two years past lapsed license date, then the License will expire and the individual must re-apply for LPC Licensure entirely.
- Should a licensee renew his/her Privileging Designation after the June 30th deadline, he/she will be assessed a $28 Privileging Designation Late Renewal Fee in addition to providing the necessary Privileging Designation Renewal materials noted above. Privileging designations may also lapse for a period of two years. Licensees have until June 30th to remit all late Privileging Designation renewal materials to the Board. If all late Privileging Designation renewal materials are not received by the Board on June 30th, then the Privileging Designation will expire and the individual must re-apply for the Privileging Designation entirely.
Additional Information and the Public
- LPCs (Licensed Professional Counselors) are licensed to provide Mental Health Counseling and Psychotherapy Services independently to the public for a fee. The counselor assumes the responsibility for knowledge, skill, and ethical consideration needed to assist individuals, groups, organizations, or the general public.
- The Louisiana LPC license only allows for the practice of mental health counseling within the state of Louisiana. To serve clients in other states, you will need to reach out to that state’s respective licensing Board.