Scope of Practice
- Marriage and Family Therapy is the professional application of psychotherapeutic and family systems theories and techniques in the prevention, diagnosis, assessment, and treatment of mental, emotional, and behavioral disorders in an individual and relational disorders in couples and families.
- A licensed marriage and family therapist shall renew his/her license every two years in the month of December. In order to process your renewal, the Board Office must be in receipt of the following materials by December 31st:
- Renewal Application
- Renewal Fee ($170)
- Documentation of Continuing Education Hours (See Chapter 35, Section 3503 of the Board Rules for Continuing Education Requirements)
- Statement of Practices and Procedures (if the name and/or address of your place of employment has changed)
- If renewing an LMFT-S Privileging Designation*, the licensee must provide 6 CEHs in clinical MFT Supervision and the $100 Privileging Designation Renewal Fee
*Please remember that LMFT-S Designation renews every other Renewal Cycle.
Should a licensee renew after the December 31st deadline, he/she will be assessed a $60 Late Renewal Fee in addition to providing the above materials. All late renewals are Audited. Licenses may lapse for a period of two years. If all late renewal materials are not received by the Board on December 31st two years from the date of lapse, then the license will expire and the individual must re-apply for LMFT Licensure entirely.
Additional Information for the Public
- LMFTs (Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists) are licensed to provide Marriage and Family Therapy independently to the public for a fee. The Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist assumes the responsibility for knowledge, skill, and ethical consideration needed to assist individuals, groups, organizations, or the general public.
- The Louisiana LMFT license only allows for the practice of marriage & family therapy within the state of Louisiana. To serve clients in other states, you will need to reach out to that states respective licensing Board.