LPC Renewal Information
Renewal Period: April 1-June 30
- Renewal is mandatory every other year. For example, an LPC approved for licensure in an odd year will renew by June 30th in the following odd year. An LPC approved for licensure in an even year will renew by June 30th in the following even year.
- Renewal Deadline: June 30th
- $170 Renewal Fee
- 10% of licensees are audited (board staff will review the documentation of a minimum of 40 CEHs). Please allow 5 business days for audited renewals to be processed..
Continuing Education Hours
- Continuing Education Hours (CEHs) approved by the Louisiana Counseling Association (LCA), American Counseling Association (ACA), and National Board for Certified Counselors (NBCC) will automatically be accepted by Board. If not, the CEHs must be in one of the 14 approved content areas and be given by a qualified presenter (Qualified presenter: master’s level or above and trained in the mental health field or related services).
- 1 CEH is equivalent to 1 clock hour.
- 40 CEHs total (minimum) mandatory every renewal period
- Ethics: 3 CEHs (minimum) mandatory every renewal period
- Diagnosis, Assessment, and Treatment: 6 CEHs (minimum) mandatory every renewal period
- Any of the formats below can be used for renewal:
- Direct Participation in structured educational format as a learner (No maximum in this area)
- Online: 20 hours maximum per renewal period
- Coursework: 1 semester hour of coursework = 15 CEHs; 1 quarter hour of coursework = 10 clock hours
- Home Study: 10 hours maximum per renewal period
- Presentation: 10 hours maximum per renewal period (Presenters may get credit at a rate of 5 clock hours per one-hour presentation)
- Counseling (as a client): 10 hour maximum per renewal period
- Research: 10 hours maximum per renewal period
- Peer Supervision (case work consultation): 10 hours maximum per renewal period
- Content must be in 14 approved content areas (Licensee may get as many or as little as they want in an area):
- Counseling Theory
- Human Growth and Development
- Social and Cultural Foundations
- The Helping Relationship
- Group Dynamics, Processing, and Counseling
- Lifestyle and Career Development
- Appraisal of Individuals
- Research and Evaluation
- Professional Orientation
- Marriage and Family
- Chemical Dependency
- Supervision (LPC Board-Approved Supervisors must get 3 CEHs in this area to renew supervisor designation every renewal period)
- If a licensee does not renew by June 30, his/her LPC license becomes Lapsed effective July 1.
- Licensees may remain in Lapsed Status for two (2) years before Expiration and may renew the license anytime within that two-year period of Lapse.
- To renew a Lapsed license, licensees must submit the following items in arrears (for each missed renewal):
- $60 renewal late fee
- LPC Renewal Application
- Fingerprint Criminal Records Check and Privacy Statement Acknowledgement Form (required forms can be found under Licensee Info > Forms)
- Board Staff review of required 40 CEHs
*All late renewals are Audited. Please allow 5-10 business days for audited renewals to be processed.
- After the two-year Lapse period, the LPC license will expire (license number expires and is no longer used. License number cannot be reused).
- After licensure expiration, individuals must re-apply for licensure under the current licensure requirements and submit recent continuing education (CEHs) as part of application for licensure.