Scope of Practice
- Supervision of Provisional Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists is a specialty area and requires privileging review. Supervision not provided by an LMFT-approved Supervisor or an LMFT-registered Supervisor Candidate as determined by the advisory committee will not be counted toward licensure. Those individuals who may provide supervision to Provisional Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists must meet the following requirements.
- A licensee who wishes to become an LMFT Board-Approved Supervisor must be a current Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist (LMFT) in the state of Louisiana and must submit a completed LMFT-S Application and all necessary supporting documentation to the Board Office.
- Applicants must have successfully completed coursework in marriage and family therapy supervision through either (1) a graduate level course in marriage and family therapy supervision from a regionally accredited institution or (2) an equivalent course of study consisting of a 15-hour didactic component and a 15-hour interactive component in the study of marriage and family therapy supervision.
- An official graduate transcript verifying the completion of a one-semester graduate level course in Marriage and Family Therapy Supervision must be forwarded directly to the Board Office from the college, university, or post-graduate training institute where the course was taken.
- Applicants who meet the educational requirements via the completion of an equivalent course in Marriage and Family Therapy Supervision approved by the Marriage and Family Advisory Committee must submit a certificate of completion of the course with the LMFT-S Application.
- The Documentation of Supervision of Supervision for LMFT Registered Supervisor Candidates form must be submitted along with this application documenting a minimum of thirty-six (36) hours of supervision of supervision of marriage and family therapy with the oversight of a designated Board-Approved Supervisor.
- Applicants must submit an updated Statement or Declaration of Practices and Procedures with the LMFT-S Application. Guidelines for this document are available here.
- Designation as an AAMFT Board-Approved Supervisor may qualify a licensee to become a LMFT Board-Approved Supervisor. Applicants who are designated as an AAMFT Approved Supervisor or AAMFT Approved Supervisor Candidate must forward a verification form to AAMFT to be completed by AAMFT and returned directly to the Board by AAMFT.
- To qualify for renewal, board-approved supervisors must:
- maintain an active LMFT license in good standing as defined by the Board Rules. Applicants for renewal of their board-approved supervisory status that are under a consent order as a licensee may be renewed only at the discretion of the advisory committee.
- complete six (6) clock hours of continuing education in clinical MFT supervision prior to each renewal date for the current renewal period. These continuing education hours may also count toward the LMFT licensure renewal requirements.
- continuing education for board-approved supervisors must be specifically relevant to the role as clinical supervisor of PLMFTs as determined by the advisory committee. The content of workshops and seminars that qualify for continuing education credit for renewal candidates may be in theories and techniques of MFT supervision as well as ethical and legal issues related to MFT supervision, case management, or topics relative to a specific supervised setting.
- requirements otherwise applicable to continuing education hours for board-approved supervisors are the same as continuing education hours required for maintenance of the supervisor’s LMFT license as defined in the Board Rules.
- successfully complete the board-approved orientation/renewal workshop for supervisors. The orientation may count as either the orientation workshop or a renewal workshop toward the required six hours of required continuing education for board-approved supervisors.
- submit a completed renewal application along with any updates to the supervisor’s Statement of Practice in accordance with advisory committee policy
- remit a supervisor privileging designation renewal fee of $100
- After the LMFT-S has successfully completed the above requirements, the board upon recommendation of the advisory committee shall issue a document renewing the supervisor’s privileging designation as a Board-Approved LMFT-S for a term of four years.